You did it – you’re finally engaged! You want to share this moment with your friends and family so everyone can celebrate your love – but what type of party should you throw? In this article, we’ll give you nine great engagement party ideas! Some are trendy while others are more unique, so dive in to see which one you like best.
1. Low-Key Movie Night with Loved Ones
What types of movies do you like best? You can watch any genre you prefer, since many movies have a love story in them, even if they’re not cheesy romantic comedies. (If you dig those types of movies, go for it!)
This option is very inexpensive and doesn’t require a lot of planning. Simply pop some popcorn. Keep it low-key at home, and be sure to buy some theater-size candies to go along with the popcorn. To make it extra cozy, turn it into a pajama party.
Alternatively, do movie night with a twist: instead of watching movies, watch clips to show off your love story and how you got to where you are now. This can include a slideshow of pictures that go as far back as you’d like. Have a brilliant storyteller or podcaster in the group? Have them announce the story like it’s a documentary or a movie preview.
2. Cheer On Your Favorite Team
This one can vary a bit depending on how much money you want to spend. If your budget is tight, invite friends and family to cheer on your favorite team at home, wearing their jerseys.
For an extra treat that won’t be forgotten, pay for your entire party to attend a game near you. Be sure to have a tailgate party or after-party to celebrate your engagement. Even if your team doesn’t win, your friends can celebrate the new team you’re building!
3. Dance the Night Away to Celebrate
When you’re over the moon in love, you can’t help but dance. Why not embrace that feeling and dance with friends and family all night? Book your favorite club or throw a house party with amazing love songs. (Just remember to be mindful of your neighbors – a police visit for public disturbance isn’t a great start to a marriage!)
4. Spend Time in Nature with Your Beloved
Whether you want to throw a big party or keep it between you and your fiancé, time in nature is soothing to the soul. Planning a wedding (especially a DIY one) can be stressful, and this is an awesome way to take time away from it all before the frenzy hits.
Here are some nature-friendly options you can try:
- Glamping (if “roughing it” isn’t your style)
- Chalet party at a cabin
- Beach bonfire
5. Be a Bit Boozy and Bougie
Whether you want to throw a classy cocktail party or a wine tasting, dress up with your family and friends to celebrate your engagement. You can mix your own cocktails, or if you want to be super bougie, hire a bartender for the evening.
6. Keep It Cozy and Chill
If you’re not big on planning and want to keep things really simple, just have your friends come over and relax at your home. Don’t feel like preparing meals or snacks? Then hop over to a brewery or restaurant for a cozy celebration.
7. Make (Or Enjoy) Beautiful Music Together
Attend a music festival or make your own by inviting your musical friends to entertain the group. You could do karaoke as well if your group is more into singing than playing instruments, or you could rock out in a silent disco.
8. Choose a Fun Theme and Dress Up
If you and your spouse-to-be have a specific interest that you’ve bonded over, it might be nice to do a themed dress-up party.
Here are some themes to try:
- Shakespeare. Add Shakespeare quotes to the invitations and dress up like you’re in “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.”
- Masquerade. Encourage guests to dress formally and bring masks (have extra on hand in case someone forgets or doesn’t have one). Serve fancy hors d’oeuvres.
- Broadway. Dress like your fave broadway singer or character. Make sure there’s a karaoke machine set up with show tunes!
- Hollywood. Wear elaborately formal clothes and style your hair and makeup like you’re in the Golden days of Hollywood. Roll out a red carpet and stanchions (velvet ropes).
- Bollywood. Is Bollywood more your style? Then dress in a gorgeous beaded sari and learn Bollywood choreography to dance with your friends.
- Locale. Want to recreate the romance of Paris? Go for it! The fun celebration and food of New Orleans? Do your thing. You can even do an art gallery or museum night.
- Throwback. Rock your old duds and revive those hammer pants for a throwback party. Embrace your past fashion disasters and enjoy a night of laughter and outdated slang.
- Country. Are you more of a country couple? Hold your engagement party at a rustic barn and dress up in your boots, a nice boho dress (or jeans and shirt) and a hat!
9. Plan Your Future Under a Starlit Sky
There’s something about the twinkling of lights under the dark canopy of the night sky that makes you feel hopeful about the future. Have a picnic under the stars with friends and family and contemplate your future with the person you love. Be sure to bring plenty of pillows and blankets to make it comfortable.
Add twinkle lights to help light the way for your guests and then turn them off to get a good look at the stars. If you’re really feeling the star theme, name a star to symbolize your new relationship and “unveil” it at the party.
Celebrate Your Love at Esperanza Ranch
There’s nothing more magical than the feeling that you’ve found the person you want to love for the rest of your life. At Esperanza Ranch, we help enhance that feeling of joy and expectation.
We have 50 acres of rolling countryside and a beautiful 2,800-square-foot 18th-century barn that’s perfect for your engagement party or wedding. The pictures can’t quite do it justice – book a tour to see this truly romantic venue for yourself!